Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Stouts Fire Field Trip

I attended and presented at a couple conferences in Canyonville (Southern Oregon Hydrologists and the BLM Soil, Water, Air Program Meeting).  The first presentation I gave was on the history and restoration techniques used in the Douglas Complex wildfires of 2013.  My second presentation was the analysis of post wildfire turbidity monitoring and flood modeling.  The later was a bit intimidating, because I was presenting to a group full of professionals including the National Weather Service and the Geological Survey.

 Confluence of Stouts and East Fork Stouts Creek (above and below)

On one of the days we took a field trip to the Stouts Fire where a lot of BLM-timber had been harvested in the name of safety to better facilitate private industry timber haul.  It was pretty ugly; downhill, cross-channel yarding, in the wet season across coho habitat.  I don't think I know the whole story, but it sure doesn't look good.

1 comment:

Catherine said...

Does look a bit dicey! Glad your presentations went well.