This is an issue that I've been working on for a couple months now. There's a stream restoration structure that was put in a number of years ago. It's unfortunately working too well in that the log jam has almost become a dam, forcing the flows onto the floodplain. Normally this would be a good thing - everything we want in a restoration structure. Unfortunately, the designer of this particular structure didn't account for the fact that the adjacent county road is at the same elevation as the stream - maybe even lower. As a result, the site has flooded half-a-dozen times in the last four months. And by flooding, I mean shin-deep sheet-flow over the road and ditches on either side of the road that have scoured down three feet in some places.
I'm trying my hardest to get this one particular site dismantled before it gives the watershed restoration program that I've worked so hard to support, a bad name. Unfortunately, progress hasn't happened.


1 comment:
Hopefully soon...careful there!!!
Post a Comment