Saturday, January 12, 2019

Furloughed

Although the kids started school, I wasn't able to start work.  President Trump decided to not approve a budget that Congress developed because he wanted funding for a wall between this country and Mexico.

During that time I couldn't go to work, had to cancel and reschedule meetings and planning sessions.  Also, I didn't get a paycheck which was unfortunate, because it really put a damper on our ability to effectively move in efficiently.

Fortunately, many businesses around the country took pity for federal employees who had been held hostage for a month and offered some screaming deals.  The only one I took advantage of was Fort George Brewing who put on a pizza lunch for furloughed federal employees and their family.  It was a really nice gesture and totally worth the drive north.  Of course we stuck around for a lot longer than just lunch and subsidized them heavily all afternoon!  It was actually a perfect day: sunny, no wind, and 60 degrees.  T-shirt weather on the coast; which was where we went next.  We popped down to Seaside for long enough to dip our toes in the water, get a smoothie, and then turn inland for home.

1 comment:

Catherine said...

Yes...the one perk, family time. And nice how businesses understood the plight and made things a bit more pleasant.