We did what we've been doing for the past few years now which is take a pseudo-Valentine's Day overnight trip to Astoria to have some time to ourselves, but also to partake of the stout-adjacent week of celebrating that Astoria does so well. This year, we stayed at an Air BnB only a stone's throw from Fort George Brewing. We drove over on US-26 (stopping in Beaverton for lunch and chai) and saw a number of elk and some fresh snow up on the pass. Once in Astoria, Dohnele did a little shopping and then we got all checked in and then went to Obelisk Brewing to try a new place in town. It was awesome! Really great beer and a good lineup of offerings too. After a few beers, we went to dinner at Worker's Tavern because I said I wanted a hearty and cheap dinner. It delivered and Dohnele hardly protested.


After dinner we drove back to the Air BnB, parked, and walked to Fort George where, to our dismay, we found the arcade was closed, but we still got to try all the stouts that they had for their Festival of Dark Arts. My favorite was the cookies and cream + peanut butter cup stout which was amazing! The next day, Dohnele got a massage and sauna session while I froze in the car and watched cargo ships ply up and down the Columbia River. Because it had gotten so cold the night before, I figured there'd be snow and ice on US-26, so we took US-30 home (stopping again in Beaverton for more chai!)
Also this week, I made a dish called himmel und Erde (heaven and earth) which is a 60-40 potato-apple mash with caramelized onions and a grilled sausage. It was really, really good!
No comments:
Post a Comment