I got invited to head out to the Cascade Siskiyou National Monument and Soda Mountain Wilderness Area where the BLM has been actively fixing pre-Wilderness erosion problems stemming from roads and trails. I hiked out a road which had been blocked to prevent new use. The road accessed a wetland meadow which had been largely subsoiled and mulched to restore historic flow paths and to reduce soil compaction.
This isn't Soda Mountain, but I climbed to the top of it too!
Iron Gate Reservoir on the Klamath River
Mount McLoughlin
Mount Shasta (obscured)
After hiking through the wetland/meadow, I found myself at a saddle below the summit of a nearby mountain. I decided to wander up the shoulder to the summit and when I popped out on top, I found myself on top of Soda Mountain. I hadn't ever been there before, but I knew where I was because of the Fire Lookout there.
road decommissioning
meadow restoration
meadow restoration and road decommissioning work (left) and Soda Mountain (top right)
So I got a bunch of really great pictures and some really good views. Mount Shasta was behind clouds, but all of Klamath Canyon was visible to the south and all of the Bear Creek Valley and Mount McLoughlin were visible to the north.
1 comment:
Beautiful country!! Glad you were able to explore it and that restoration work in some areas is in progress.
Post a Comment