Just as the Coronavirus thing was ramping up, but not before strict social measures had been enacted, I attended a week-long BLM training and seminar with other BLM hydrologists, fisheries biologists, and soil scientists from across Oregon and Washington. It was, as it always is, a good time. Last year, the gathering had been cancelled because it was supposed to be held shortly after a prolonged furlough ended. So it had been a while since we'd all seen each other.
A couple days are devoted each to fisheries, hydrology, and soils. But every evening was devoted to hanging out and partaking of all the fine eating and drinking establishments in Bend. We went to different places each night including Crater Lake Distilling which was a highlight for me. I got to do a lineup tasting of their Black Butte Whiskey and their gin (photo above)... Plus a few cocktails!
The last morning was the best. I slept in and then went out for brunch at the hotel which is right on the Deschutes River (that's me, in the photo below). All morning long there was a steady trickle of people I know and respect wandering by and chatting (photo above). It was great to catch up with them all.
And after a week of clear skies and sunshine we drove back over the Pass and back into the clouds and rain of the Willamette Valley. Below are some pictures of the kids working on homework - or paper airplanes in Zephyr's case.





No comments:
Post a Comment