Some of my staff in the Cascades Field Office did some beaver habitat / wetland restoration work in summer 2019 and a visit to the site was postponed several times, but I finally made it. And I invited several other folks from various restoration and beaver habitat restoration walks of life. And I spent the day interviewing them all so that I could create some propaganda to promote our work. This particular lake hosted a robust beaver population historically, but they've been absent for a few decades which has resulted in the lake and its surrounding wetland becoming encroached by conifers and shrubs. The restoration project was installing a beaver dam analog to simulate a beaver dam to raise the lake level in the hopes that it will attract beaver back to the area. The upside was that the day was pretty great: perfect weather, good company, and nobody was terribly camera-shy. The only downside was that my phone overheated by the end of the day while filming some of the video clips. No matter, we were winding down anyway.
And here's a fun picture from a few days prior when Scott from the State Office came down to look at some project proposals in the Upper Willamette Field Office. Here we are on Smith Creek discussing past restoration effectiveness.




1 comment:
Fun...discussions can occur outside at a great distance!
Lovely habitat...now if the beavers come back...success!
Post a Comment