Setting up camp (above) with a view of Craft Canyon (below)
From there, we headed down US 197 and then over to the Deschutes River to begin the 20-mile gravel road drive down to the campground which was nearly empty despite all the fishing that was happening up and down the river!
We set up camp, did some reading, drank some beers, and eventually made dinner. Unfortunately, fire restrictions hadn't lifted in the canyon, but at least it wasn't too cold and we ended up just reading all evening.
The next morning we got up kind of early to try the fishing as we had been seeing and hearing king salmon jump around quite a bit. Unfortunately, after an hour, I hadn't caught anything so I happily gave up and went back to camp to read (I read a lot on this trip!) Later in the afternoon, while Cory was still fishing, I elected to go on a short bike ride to the Deschutes River Trailhead and hike down river at sunset. I ended up hiking well past (north) of Macks Canyon along the old railroad grade and got some great sunset pictures before turning around and heading back. Fortunately didn't see any snakes (surprise), but did see several bighorn sheep (also a surprise) much higher up on the ridges.
Had another dinner and read all night long. Decided to try car camping on this trip and it worked out wonderfully. With the seats folded down and an air mattress and blankets I was plenty warm and comfortable!
Cedar Island in the Deschutes River (above)
On the last day, after breakfast, we packed up and headed out, stopping at White River Falls before heading over Government Camp and getting a beer and burger in Molalla.
The old power house (above) at the base of the falls (below) on White River































1 comment:
How wonderful! Excellent company...excellent environment...wonderful reads!! All together sounds like a very nice time indeed!
Post a Comment