Saturday, January 18, 2025

Shellburg Falls

Shellburg Falls is kinda near Salem, but has been off-limits for several years following the Beachie Creek Fire of 2020.  In fact, Oregon Department of Forestry just recently re-opened the area and trails following extensive restoration and hazard tree removal.  While most of the area burned, fortunately, some of the largest trees survived and although the trail behind he waterfall is now closed, it has been rebuilt to several vantage spots.
The trail in which takes you down a toe of basalt

The road in was much longer than I thought and I was glad that I brought Dohnele's rig instead of mine since the road was steep and muddy and mostly gravel.  There were several other folks that we ran into, but while we were at the falls, we had the place to ourselves.




We decided to go because it had been cold and gray and the valley covered in ice fog all week.  Today, the fog lifted and the sun was out so we had to take advantage of it!







In other news, last week I took Zoe to spend a day in Portland.  Basically just spoiled her all day which was fun.  We went to a handful of shops she was interested in because they had stickers and pins and magnets and such.  I got to go to Ca Phe for some amazing coffee and for lunch, we went to a hot-pot place which was fun and different.
The afternoon sun was streaming in through Emma's bedroom which, in her absence, is actually neat and tidy!

Harissa tofu which turned out really good

Teleworking from home.  The sun was out and I just had to go outside!

Zoe eating a tofu banh mi sandwich at Ca Phe in Portland

1 comment:

Catherine said...

Exquisite terrain and landscape!!! Glad they have been restoring. How fun to be in Portland with Zoe!!!! Emma's room looks lovely but lonely!