So a couple months ago, a colleague and friend mentioned that he was driving from his Oregon home to his Virginia home where he had a hip replacement planned. Jokingly he suggested that since he wanted to get back to his Oregon home as quickly as possible, that I fly to DC and then drive him home since he's likely be on various healing and pain-killing medications.
Alaska Airlines and F-15s at PDX
Later that evening, I started thinking and dang if it didn't sound like a good idea! The idea of driving across the country has always kinda been a dream, but has always penciled out as too costly and too timely with family in tow. This was an opportunity to do all that with no limitations. Anyway, we talked further about it and he said that he'd buy gas and hotel rooms and I could pick the route as long as I drove. Done!
Flying over Flathead Lake, Montana
I proceeded to line out a route featuring cultural, historic, and scientific destination - just a few per day - where our day averaged between 500 and 600 miles per day and took us through the deep south since the middle portion of the country holds no interest to me.
Flying over Chicago
So anyway, here's Day 1 where I took a shuttle to PDX and flew to Seattle and then to Dulles. Both flights were delayed about an hour, so it all worked out just fine. Got to Dulles and Ron picked me up and took me to his home where I promptly fell asleep!
landed at Dulles
The next day was going to be my adjustment day where I got used to the time shift. I slept in and gradually got up and around. Since Ron was recovering, I helped him with a few chores around the house that needed attention before winter came: we repaired a fence, mowed the lawn, and cleaned gutters. They took me out for beer and dinner!
Coco the Cat and Ron's Backyard








No comments:
Post a Comment