Got to see a super unique area of the district today: sites used by turn-of-the-century water developers seeking pure water to deliver to Oregon City and West Linn. Read all about it here.
The hike was ridiculously steep since all the roads have overgrown and bridges have washed out. We literally dropped into a canyon using ropes. Then hiked down a canyon through tunnels drilled through basalt. And crossed a rickety old bridge that was never torn out when the project was abandoned.
There was at least one place where I opted out of continuing because it was just to scary (two rotten logs cabled together crossing a rocky gorge). The hike out was miserable. I actually ran out of water. And of course the hike out was getting full southern exposure and it was a hot day. Yeah, I cooked and was totally wiped out by the time I got back to the truck.
But seeing the canyon, the old pipelines, and the gorgeous waterfalls was worth it. But I probably won't be back. At least not without packing a lot more water.










1 comment:
Interesting history here....lovely area...spooky access.
Post a Comment