Tuesday, July 27, 2021

Post Archie Creek Fire Canopy Cover Assessment

One thing I really love is when I'm able to prove myself or my thoughts and theories wrong.  And here's one time where it happened.  Prior to this day, it was widely assumed that following a high intensity wildfire, the canopy cover is gone and provides no shade.  That much might be true, but the amount of shade provided to a stream from burnt tree trunks has never really been assessed that I'm aware of.


McComas Creek is down on the Roseburg District and back in about 2009 or 2010, I was part of a team that established some intensive data monitoring points to determine the effects of Riparian Reserve thinning on stream temperature.  As "luck" would have it, we assessed the stream pre-harvest and post-harvest and then the Archie Creek Fire burned through last fall which allowed us to assess the stream again this summer and determine the effect the fire had on the stream.




Results are still preliminary, but even though the canopy was entirely obliterated, I was able to observe that burnt tree trunks and branches still afforded the stream approximately 50 percent stream shade.  So all is not lost!  Additionally, many of these burnt snags will soon be falling over and providing more direct shade to the stream, so standby for more results!

1 comment:

Catherine said...

Well how nice to have your theory dispelled...that not all was lost!!! Thank goodness for tree trunks and branches!