Sunday, May 7, 2023

Springtime Soil, Flowers, and Wine

With the official announcement of a new soil scientist starting in the Upper Willamette Field Office, I raced to arrange field tours to introduce the new guy to all of his surrounding soils and soil scientists.  The first tour up was to the South River Field Office on the Roseburg District where I managed to get a handful of folks together to discuss landslides, timber harvest, and the BLM's responsibility in managing for both.  I got the new soil scientist down there to bring in the retired soil scientist and I also called in soil scientists from Grants Pass and Portland; it was a great day being in my old stomping grounds.

Looking at the scarp of an old landslide on BLM-managed lands (above).  Lunch break at a road closure above Louis Creek (below).

One of several landslides in Louis Creek which originated in a clearcut and associated with a road (above) and Louis Creek Valley (below).

A BLM timber sale south of South Myrtle Creek.  I worked on the stream surveys for this timber unit back when I worked for the Roseburg District.  It was nice to see the timber harvested!

In other news this week, the pear and apples in the backyard are blooming.  And also, the spring wine release event at Soter Vineyard happened and although Dohnele had to work, I brought Evan and Heidi and we got to hang out for the better part of an afternoon.

I really enjoy sitting on the front porch enjoying the flowers and the breeze and people watching (above).  Apple and pear blossoms (below).

Spring wine release at Soter Vineyards

No comments: