Sunday, January 21, 2024

Exploring Cape Kiwanda

Emma had one of her service learning dates set, but for whatever reason, transportation wasn't arranged, so I had to drive her to Pacific City where she met up with folks to do a beach cleanup.  My intent during that time was to just sit in the car and do some work or some reading.  I thought it would be especially appropriate since it was rainy and windy and cold.  But after Emma left to do her cleanup, I got out of the car to get some fresh air and it was really refreshing out so I set out on a walk.
Chief Kiwanda Rock and Cape Kiwanda

Since Pacific City is a bit off the beaten path, I'd only been there once before and during that visit, I didn't do any exploring.  This time though, I headed north along the beach and then hiked inland into a spruce swamp in the dunes.  I kinda hiked up the draw to the top of a little stream at which point it was just a bit further to the top of the dune.









Once I got to the top of the dune, the view to the north side of Cape Kiwanda was amazing!  But the wind was screaming, so I didn't stick around too long.  I hiked west up the shoulder of the dune before dropping down on the north side of Cape Kiwanda to get some views of the sea caves which were really impressive because it was so stormy.






After I saw the caves, I hiked back up to the shoulder of the dunes and then to the top.  It started raining up on top, so I kept moving, dropping down to the west of Cape Kiwanda.  This part of the dunes is where most people go, so there are actually some fences to keep people from walking off the edge of the cliff.  Again, the views were excellent!




About that time, Emma called and said she was almost done with her beach cleanup, so I started heading back south to the car and even picked up some garbage myself on the way.  Once back together, we went out to lunch at Pelican Brewery and then headed home!

1 comment:

Catherine said...

Wow...how exqusitie...but a bit spooky regarding the terrain. Glad you got to see some new area and Emma a chance to get some service work requirements accomplished. Looks like a rather "steril" place...but I imagine there was some work to do. Wonder if any glass balls make it there and survive.