Friday, February 2, 2024

Hike to University Falls

Elliott Creek below University Falls



Zoe expressing how thrilled she is to be hiking in the rain and being so cold that she had to wear my coat!

University Falls has been on my list for not that long and we had a perfect opportunity to check it out: there was a really nice weekend and I put together a trip where we went to Cornelius, OR for hamburgers and then go on the hike.  Unfortunately, the burger place was a bust.  I had put it on my list to check out because it had won some national award.  When we got there, the wait was two hours.  For a burger.  So we passed and went right to the hike instead.

Understand that when we left the house, it was clear and sunny.  Even in Cornelius, the weather was fine.  But as soon as we headed west into the Coast Range, it clouded up and started raining, and got cold.  I didn't realize that the falls was pretty high up in the mountains.  Anyway, I was prepared and had even told the kids to pack their coats; only Emma did.  So I ended up giving my coat to Zoe.  Zephyr was fine.


The hike in wasn't terribly long, but it was muddy and the trail wasn't well marked and we ended up doing a bit of bushwhacking when I took a wrong turn.  Regardless, we got there and had the place to ourselves for the first little bit and the rain held off for most of the hike.  We even got a few sunny spots on the hike out and drive home.


Also this weekend, we went to a really great basketball game: Oregon State ladies played the University of Utah and really beat them good and it was a high-scoring game.  And here's one of the dinners I made: fried tofu and soybeans.

1 comment:

Catherine said...

Fun outing with the kids...they will remember the adventures!!