Tuesday, May 17, 2022

Soil Clearance Work

One of my soil scientists is gone on a work detail, so I got to substitute for a quick-turnaround field assignment.  A private citizen wanted some burnt trees on BLM cut and removed because they were right next to his property and a few of his structures.  The BLM needed to clear the site for harvest and removal.  And since it was still spring and technically in the "wet season," I needed to make sure the soils could sustain heavy equipment.  After inspecting the site and digging a few test pits, I concluded that because the soil was so sandy and well-drained, that it could indeed handle heavy equipment assuming it didn't rain a significant amount.  So I authorized it!

Here's the stand of timber that will be salvage-harvested (above).  And here's one of my soil pits that I dug to verify that attributes were capable of sustaining heavy equipment.


And here's a picture of the new planter that we bought and then filled with flowers and tomatoes!

1 comment:

Catherine said...

Nice you were able to accomodate the private citizen's request...and work in conjunction with a project you were needing to do anyway.

Lovely planter!