Wednesday, September 25, 2024

Saviors Tour

We don't ever go to concerts.  I mean, sure, yeah, the occasional band playing the coffee shop, but even those are few and far between.  It's literally been decades since we've been to a big concert.  But when I heard that Green Day was on tour, playing "Dookie" (30th anniversary) and "American Idiot (30th anniversary) and that they were coming to Portland, not only did I say "We have to go!" but I got us floor seats too!  Green Day's Dookie album was the first CD I bought back in like 9th or 10th grade and I still remember buying it at Fred Meyers in Anchorage and listening to it over and over and over again.

Concert tickets were actually a pretty good deal because there were three opening bands - two of which I was also excited to see and hear: the Linda Lindas and the Smashing Pumpkins.  Rancid was also playing which I hadn't ever really listened to any of their music so I didn't know much about them.


On the day of the concert, we drove to Portland and I parked at Brujos so that we could get food and beer before the show.  Both the beer (super hazy IPAs and stouts) were excellent and the food (Lovejoy's) were amazing.  We got on a bus that took us to Providence Park and we were there for the opening.  Unfortunately, it was drizzly.

Emma had instructed us to pick her up some merch - so we did.  And once we got inside, it started to pour.  Even though we had floor seats, we stood at the edge of the floor where we were kinda covered from the downpour which lasted through the Linda Lindas and Rancid before letting up during the Smashing Pumpkins and stopping entirely for Green Day

The Linda Lindas were actually really good and fun to watch and hear.  Even neater when we found out that they're just a super talented bunch of teenagers.




Rancid was surprisingly good.  They did a good show and you could tell that they had mellowed out a lot with age.





The Smashing Pumpkins were surprisingly disappointing to see and hear, but still a fun experience.







Green Day was epic, however!  They played both "Dookie" and "American Idiot" in full and a bunch of others.  They kept the sold out (25,000+) crowd going full tilt for well over two hours.  All said and told that was over six hours of standing and listening to loud music.  It was awesome.  My ears rang for a couple days!  Best part were the political undertones since "American Idiot" was directed at the Bush Jr. presidency and this tour was directed at a looming Trump presidency.





















At the end of the concert, we caught the bus back to the north side of town, got in our car and headed home.  Awesome experience!










No comments: