Friday, August 8, 2025

Rhody Lake

A few weeks ago, the Oregon Department of Forestry announced that they had finally reopened access to the Rhody Lake Rec Site which was burnt over by the Beachie Creek Fire in late 2020.  I had never heard of it before, but it looked like a fun place to take Dohnele paddleboarding.









I waited a few weeks and then went on a weekday.  The weather was perfect and the drive was nice, although the lake was a bit more remote than I expected it to be and the road was still a little rough.  But we found it.  The lake wasn't quite as clear as I had hoped for, but was still nice enough for paddling.

Dohnele got lots of pics of newts and blooming lillypads.  Even Zoe got a turn on the paddleboard although she didn't go far.  I spent my time reading in the shade with a beer.  It was late afternoon by the time we were heading out and I was enjoying the weather and the drive with my window down when a hornet flew in and stung me.  That ruined the fun for the rest of the day.
Butte Creek Valley (above and below) - all fire-burned salvage harvest

Fibre Creek and Fibre Rock (above and below)


Also, James was in town for an overnight on his way to a concert in Portland and I took him to a few breweries that he hadn't been to before which was fun.
Benedictine Brewery over in Mount Angel

1 comment:

Catherine said...

Looks so lovely! Nice Fireweed presence...Nice that Dohnele and Zoe got to get out and paddle...and you read...a pleasant excursion!